First, Merry Christmas, especially if you are reading this on 25-December. If not, Merry Christmas as we celebrate Christmas over multiple days during this holiday season.
Isaiah 9:6 reminds us that peace is at the core of who Jesus is, was, and will be forevermore. Isaiah writes,
“For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us;And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.”
Jesus is the Prince of Peace. A Prince who was born of a virgin, His mother Mary, approximately 2,000 years ago. Look though at the attributes that support his title as the “Prince of Peace.”
- “The government will rest on His shoulders” – No matter your political views, it all answers to Jesus. Things might not look peaceful in the short-term, but they are when we look at the gifts we have than what we do not have. Plus, eternally, we all will see the eternal peace we desire when we trust in Christ alone!
- “Wonderful” – Have you ever studied the divinity of Christ? If not, do so because Genesis to Revelation shows a grand design and beauty that points to Christ. In other words, for the Bible to direct one to Jesus is truly a wonder. Not just a wonder you’ll intellectually learn through study, but feel as you see God’s beauty through Jesus.
- “Counselor” – Jesus is our friend. We can talk to Him about anything. Nothing is off-limits because if we have our lives together, we’d never pray to Jesus. Instead, go to Jesus when you are spiritually vulnerable. Cry out to Him and be raw in how you express your hurt to Him. Jesus was big enough to die on the Cross for us; He’s more than enough to hear our pain and how we express ourselves. Besides, prayer not only changes our hearts, but His change in us is what makes Him a great “Counselor.”
- “Mighty God” – We love Jesus because He was willing enough to die for us. We love Christ because He was strong enough to conquer the grave. Each makes Him a “Mighty God,” but at Christmas, we remember that we love Him because He was humble enough to be born as a child to identify with us in every way. He then is a Mighty God because He is both a strong Conquerer, but a humble Servant too!
- “Eternal Father” – The gift of Jesus as a child, Lord, and Savior is forever, period! He won’t have to do anything again for us. Instead, when He returns, it will be in victory, similar to a parade. His work is Finished, making Christ the one Christmas gift that never loses its wonder!
Each of the above characteristics of Jesus displays why He alone gives us real peace. Jesus has covered all of the issues we may face in life. From government concerns to personal traumas to the afterlife. Indeed, when we trust by faith and not by sight, we have peace in Christ, who is our mighty God.
Christ is our Hope, Faith, Joy, and our Peace. Will you then let Him bring you peace day-by-day and beyond this Advent season?
He’s willing to speak to you through His word, and hear your prayers. The day-by-day choice then is ours. Let’s receive His peace then together, and Merry Christmas!!!